Table of Contents
What is .NET?
The .NET framework is one of the most adaptable frameworks available, giving developers greater possibilities. It allows the developer to work according to his experience and specialty. The framework has a Common Type System feature that allows and facilitates the sharing of types and object instances.
For common languages, there is a runtime. Despite its name, the runtime of a framework plays an important part in development. It has an impact on a component’s runtime experiences. The runtime roles differ depending on the stage of development. It’s solely due of the memory management function of automation.
The framework has offered developers with an extendable collection of libraries by unifying programming classes. Microsoft Foundation or Windows Foundation provides a number of classes. C++ programmers mostly utilise Microsoft-related classes, whereas Java programmers primarily use Windows Foundation-related classes.
VBAPIs are used by developers who work with Visual Basic. To put it another way, frameworks are a collection of numerous frameworks that Microsoft has previously made accessible. These frameworks eliminate the need for the developer to understand other platforms and allow them to quickly create the needed components.
What is .COM?
Microsoft Windows is a group of operating systems developed by Microsoft. The word COM refers for Component Object Model. The .COM procedure uses software components to communicate with one another. Explorer.exe, which is responsible for the start menu, taskbar, and windows used to search for files on the computer, is part of the Windows Shell. COM stands for “communication over the internet”.
Shell extensions use.COM to give metadata, particular commands (for example, right-clicking a.7z file), thumbnails, and a variety of other capabilities for files that Windows does not recognize. Because “Component farm” can run on COM, it has an advantage. It can be utilized with a new call to reuse without being uploaded by memory if properly coded.
With the aid of COM-aware components,.COM programmers construct software. Each and every The functionality of a COM component is exposed through one or more interfaces. Interface IDs (IIDs), often known as GUIDs, are used to distinguish between the many interfaces that a component claims to support. The implementation of the custom interface (IUnknown) offers methods for reference type conversion and counting, which are implemented by the majority of the. Components of the COM protocol (casting).
A custom interface consists of a reference to a virtual method table that contains a list of accessible printers that perform the same functions as the defined interface’s implementation.
Difference Between .NET and .COM
- The distinction between the.NET framework and the. Runtime error and memory management are used to characterize COM work. The.NET framework manages memory properly and does not cause runtime issues, but the. Because of improper memory management, the COM framework produces faults.
- .NET allows developers to use several languages, allowing them to complete jobs to their full capacity.
- .COM does not have any machine-specific constraints. Most of them implement the custom interface(IUnknown) implementation, which offers methods for reference type conversion and counting. Components for COM (casting).
- In.NET, the developer may use the ASP+ control to execute widgets directly on projects, however in.COM, the developer can manually initiate/create objects as needed, which requires a little customization.
- In.NET, the developer may reuse pre-written programs by driving the same logic; but, in.COM, the developer must write additional codes and establish a library, which adds to the labor. By utilizing Windows services, developers may easily construct reusable applications.
- A security mechanism is also included in the.NET framework. It includes two general features: code access security and validation and verification, whereas the.COM framework lacks these qualities.
Comparison Between .NET and .COM
|Parameters of Comparison||.NET||COM|
|Runtime||.NET does not generate runtime errors.|
Because it handles memory efficiently
|In terms of memory management, .COM lags behind.NET. Because it supports numerous threads, synchronization is also affected.|
|Flexibility||.NET allows developers to use several languages, allowing them to complete jobs to their full capacity.||. COM does not have machine-specific constraints.|
|User Interface||The user has tools such as the ASP+ control, which allows the developer to easily execute widgets on projects.||.COM allows the developer to manually initiate/create objects as needed, which allows for some customization.|
|Reusability||By using the same logic, the developer may reuse the pre-written codes.||By utilizing Windows services, developers may easily construct reusable applications.|
|Security||The framework offers two authentication methods: “code access security” and “validation and verification.”||The framework is devoid of security measures.|