Table of Contents
What is .NET Framework?
The framework is curated by the integration of several Microsoft technologies to execute, develop, and deploy web/ windows applications and webpages. The framework simplifies the complex development multi-tier procedure. It simplifies the client/server-side application development.
Big Business and its application can easily be managed without writing the codes. It can also manage security, pooling, and transactions. The application can be developed using multiple programming languages. It supports every operating system such as Windows, Linux, and many others. It has three significant components- CLR, FCL, and User and Program Interface.
1) Common Language Runtime(CLR): The .NET Framework supports multiple programming languages like C#, VB, Visual C++, and many more. The agenda of the CLR is to allow the execution of the code written in the languages supported by the .NET framework.
2) Framework Class Library(FLR): It comes as a package deals with the CLR. It permits the users and the developers to code in languages supported by the .NET Framework.
3) User and Program Interface: The tools required to develop web applications and web pages such as web services, web forms, and console applications are part of the user and program interfaces.
It supports third-party run-time hosts too. It supports more than 200 programming languages.
What is ASP.NET?
ASP in ASP.NET stands for the Active Server Pages. It is an integral tool of the .NET Framework and is used to create dynamic pages and services. It supports server-side technology and is also referred to as the success of the original ASP. It is integrated with the purpose to simplify the tasks in the .NET Framework. It eases the development, debugging, and deployment of web pages and web services.
Several .NET languages can be used in the ASP.NET applications but C# is the frequent used programming language in the ASP.NET framework. It is curated to work with the Hypertext Transfer Protocol(HTTP) and was launched in the year 2002. It allows the developers the access to all .NET classes and its features. There are three integral components of the ASP.NET architecture- Language, Library, ad the CLR.
1) Common Language Runtime(CLR): ASP.NET environment can support all programming languages and their execution that is supported by the .NET Framework. Although, C# and VB.NET are frequently used languages. They are used to develop web applications.
2) Library: It includes several standard class libraries. The Web Library is the frequently used library for the development of web applications. The Web Library comprises all the major features and classes required for the development of the .NET web services.
3) Common Language Runtime(CLR): It s a platform that allows the execution of the .NET programs. It performs the primary activities. Execution handling and Garbage collection is handled by the common language runtime platform.
ASP.NET implements the concept of caching and is responsible for state management.
Difference Between .NET and ASP.NET
Both platforms look similar to each other yet are so dissimilar to each other. The only similarity lies between the both in that they are curated by Microsoft and have Common Language Runtime is a common component. Here are some basic dissimilarities between these two:
- The .NET Framework provides standards and interfaces to Windows services and APIs. It is a platform where the creation, execution, and deployment of web services takes place whereas ASP.NET is an integral tool of the .NET framework. It mainly is integrated with the .NET framework with the purpose of simply the creation, execution, and deployment.
- NET framework works on both client and server-side applications whereas ASP.NET can only support the server-side application.
- .NET framework supports more than 200 programming languages and provides a suitable environment to execute these languages. ASP.NET can only support those languages that are supported b the .NET framework.
- .NET has three integral components- Common Language Runtime(CLR), Framework Class Library(FCL), and the user and program interface. ASP.NET comprises the language, library, and Common Runtime Language(CLR) as its constituents.
- .NET serves the purpose of providing a suitable environment whereas ASP.NET is responsible for the garbage collection and state management.
Comparison Between .NET and ASP.NET
|Comparison Parameters||.NET Framework||ASP.NET Framework|
|Basic Definition||.NET framework is curated by Microsoft as |
a software development structure.
|ASP.NET is the vital tool of the .NET Framework. It |
simplifies the creation of the dynamic web pages.
|Architecture||To monitor the execution of the .NET applications,|
The architecture comprise of Common
Language Runtime(CLR) and .NET technologies.
|The architecture of the ASP.NET comprises of the |
libraries, languages, and the CLR
|Usage||Mainly curates business applications on|
the Windows platform.
|Curates dynamic web pages and the websites |
in the .NET Framework.
|Coding Language||Can use any of the coding language.||Can only use .NET languages.|
|Rendering Interface||The development can be done on both server-|
side and the client side in the .NET framework.
|In ASP.NET, the development can only be|
done at the server-side.