Table of Contents
What is Album?
The Album is music production recording or audio recordings recorded on a compact disc or any other digital distribution medium. Earlier, it was recorded on vinyl.
The aim of introducing an Album in the music industry was to promote new artists and new songs that nobody has known before or never released before.
In Ancient Rome, the term Album is a Latin word, which means a whiteboard with announcements and decrees written on it. Since the Middle Ages, it has meant a book, consisting of rhythms, so an Album is called a collection of recordings of a project.
Up to the 19th century, Albums were used at times. Till the 1920s, the trials for proceeding to record were refused by American companies.
At first, Album used to come in 10 inches and 12 inches in size. Later in the 1930s, record companies came up with an album in 78 RPM which consists of one type of music by one artist. It was flocked together, particularly with artwork in the front part, and was composed of 6 to 8 compositions with only the cover page. It was recorded on vinyl discs. If the Album becomes very long, then it will be released as a double Album.
With upcoming digital technologies, the Album is now recorded in studios or they can be performed live. An Album should consist of at least 5 to 6 tracks with a total playing time of about 30 minutes. Shorter albums are mentioned as mini Albums in the Music industry.
What is Mixtape?
A Mixtape is usually a compilation of music from different sources and recorded onto a medium, usually cassettes, or can be on a digital playlist.
A Mixtape is a compilation of different kinds of music; it can be hip-hop, contemporary music, or music related to any culture. Mixtapes were first introduced in the 1970s, in New York City with famous artists like Kool Herc and Afrika Bambaataa. Then, in the late 1980s, DJs began recording live music and selling them with different beats and compositions.
Songs Arranged in a Mixtape are in such a way that they can play consecutively or match the beat. Sudden and rapid edits recognizably followed the start and the end of the song.
A Mixtape can be recorded in a studio or anywhere. The motive of creating a Mixtape was to compile all the biggest hit music on one digital medium and sell them for one’s profit without copyright claims. It was also used for promoting newly released Albums.
Difference Between Album and Mixtape
- The Album is a music production recording, recorded on a compact disc. whereas A Mixtape is a compilation of different types of music recorded on CDs or cassettes.
- The Album comprises the artist’s style of music.On the other hand, a Mixtape is a compilation of different styles of music.
- The aim of introducing an Album in the music industry was to promote new artists and new songs that the body has known before or never released before. Whereas, the motive of creating a Mixtape was to compile all the biggest hit music on one digital medium and sell them for one’s profit without copyright claims.
- Albums can include more than one track; on the contrary, the Mixtape comprises only one track.
- Albums can be recorded in a studio or they can be performed live where Mixtape can be recorded anywhere as well as in the studio.
Comparison Between Album and Mixtape
|Parameters Of Comparison||Album||Mixtape|
|Definition||Albums are music production recordings, recorded on the disc.||A Mixtape is a compilation of different types of music recorded on CDs or cassettes.|
|Transitions||On an Album, there may be few transitions between songs.||In a Mixtape, there is no transition between songs.|
|Recording||Albums can be recorded in a studio or they can be performed at a live concert.||The mixtape can be recorded anywhere as well as in the studio.|
|Number Of Tracks||Albums can include more than one track.||The Mixtape consists of only one track.|
|Music Style||The Album contains the artist’s musical style.||A Mixtape is a compilation of different styles of music.|