Table of Contents
What is Akinesia?
Akinesia is a kind of functional disorder where the patient loses his ability to move his muscles voluntarily, also we can say the loss of consciousness control over the moment. It is also described as one of the symptoms of Parkinson’s disease.
In Akinesia person experience muscle rigidity, freezing, and slow moment, it is mostly due to neurological conditions like Parkinson’s disease, in which you lose the ability to control your muscle as nerve cells in your brain begin to weaken and die.
Hypothyroidism, In which there is abnormal or low activity of the thyroid gland which results in retardation of growth in children as well as adults can also lead to Akinesia.
Movement disorders are diagnosed by a doctor through clinical examination, not symptoms. Akinesia is also diagnosed in fetuses which are called fetal Akinesia deformation sequence. It can lead to stillbirth.
Symptoms of Akinesia are often very slow, patients go through inability to move feet properly, muscle rigidity, freezing, feeling of stiffness, etc. For treatment of Akinesia medications such as a mixture of carbidopa and levodopa are given which helps in making stable dopamine levels in the brain and is considered to be helpful.
What is Akathisia?
Akathisia is a disorder in which a person gets the feeling of restlessness and cannot maintain a body posture. Patients with Akathisia are constantly restless and often require physical movement.
Akathisia can occur due to side effects of certain psychotic medications. Encephalitis also can lead to Akathisia. Certain anti-emetic medications can also be a cause of developing Akathisia in pregnant women.
Akathisia is diagnosed by observing the symptoms of the person. Symptoms of Akathisia include restlessness, constant urge for body movements, Patient’s may also feel stress, anxiety and often get irritated quickly. Depression can also be considered as an addition to the symptoms of Akathisia.
To treat Akathisia Beta-blockers, Benzodiazepines and propranolol are prescribed. Anticholinergic medicine is also prescribed in the treatment of Akathisia. If the disorder is caused by consuming drugs then stopping the drug is advised to the patient as a part of treatment.
Akathisia if left untreated can lead to depression, distress, one can show destructive behavior and can get suicidal thoughts.
Difference Between Akinesia and Akathisia
- Akinesia is a functional disorder in which a person loses his ability to move muscles voluntarily. Whereas Akathisia is a disorder where a person feels restless and cannot maintain a posture.
- The observed symptoms of Akinesia are freezing and slow moments, whereas Akathisia is restlessness, and a constant urge to move the body.
- For treatment of Akinesia, a mixture of carbidopa and levodopa is given which helps in making stable dopamine levels in the brain. On the other hand Beta-blockers, Benzodiazepines, and propranolol are used for treatment in Akathisia. Anti-cholinergic medicines are used for treating Akathisia patients.
- Akinesia can be seen in fetuses during pregnancy. Whereas, In fetuses, Akathisia does not occur.
- If left untreated, Akinesia can lead to muscle rigidity whereas Akathisia can lead to depression, distress, and cause suicidal thoughts.
Comparison Between Akinesia and Akathisia
|Parameters Of Comparison||Akinesia||Akathisia|
|Causes||Akinesia can be due to Parkinson’s disease hypothyroidism or due to genetic conditions of the family.||Akathisia can occur due to side effects of certain antipsychotic medications. Symptoms .|
|Symptoms||In movement disorders, patients go through moments of muscle stiffness and slowness.||In Akathisia, the patient with agitation is unable to maintain a body posture.|
|Treatment||A mixture of carbidopa and levodopa is used for treating this disorder.||Beta-blockers, Anticholinergic medicine, Benzodiazepines, and propranolol are used in the treatment of Akathisia.|
|Complications||Akinesia can lead to muscle rigidity, inability to move feet properly, etc.||Akathisia can lead to distress, disruptive behavior, or even suicidal thoughts.|
|Fetuses||Akinesia can be seen even in fetuses.||Akathisia does not occur in fetuses.|