Table of Contents
What is Afib?
Afib, commonly known as Atrial fibrillation is a medical condition that disrupts the normal heart rhythm. It causes irregular rapid and quivering heart rhythms ranging from 140-160 beats per minute.
In general, the atria and ventricles work together for pumping blood throughout the body, but in the condition of Afib, they don’t work together .The atria start fluttering irregularly and don’t move the blood into the ventricles.
Afib can cause several heart-related complications like brain damage, stroke, blood clot, and heart failure.
Symptoms of Afib
The following symptoms can be seen If a person is suffering from Afib:
- Fluttering heartbeat
- An uneven pulse rate
- Feeling dizzy and weak
- Having severe chest pain
- Shortness of breath
Treatment for Afib:
In most cases, Afib can be treated through medication and a general change in the lifestyle while in some cases, A Surgery is needed for restoring the normal heart rate. The medicines used in the treatment cannot fully cure the condition of Afib but can help in controlling the severity and occurrence of Afib.
What is Aflutter?
Atrial flutter, also known as Aflutter is a rhythm disorder that is associated with fast heart rate. In Aflutter, one can feel abnormal heart rhythm in the upper chamber of heart i.e. Atria.
In Aflutter, the contraction rate of Atria is generally fast but the type of heart rhythm cannot be described other than fast.
Symptoms Of Aflutter
Usually, people with A-flutter may not have any symptoms, However, if left untreated, it may increase the risk of heart failure, strokes and can also cause other heart-related complications. The symptoms of Aflutter are the same as of Afib.
- Fluttering in the heart
- Fatigue and Dizziness
- Chest pain
Treatment of Aflutter
The treatment of Aflutter is similar as Afib, The Doctor may prescribe medicines which can control the heart rate and also cures the symptoms. For preventing from future strokes, blood thinner are used in the treatment. Other medical devices such as Electrical cardioversion and Catheter ablation is also used for the treating the condition of A-flutter.
Prevention for Afib and Aflutter
Small lifestyle changes can also help in curing the Afib and Aflutter, the following changes can be opted by an individual for better results:
- Keeping healthy eating habits and following a proper diet which is rich in fruits and vegetables
- Managing the blood pressure by keeping a limit on the salt intake.
- Having regular exercise and being physically active.
- Keeping a limit on caffeine intake.
- By saying no to alcohol and smoking.
- By maintaining a normal and healthy weight
Difference Between Afib and Aflutter
- Afib and Aflutter both are types of Arrhythmia which is a heart disorder that leads to irregular and fast heart rhythm.
- The main difference between Afib and Aflutter is in the pattern and Regularity of Atria A-fib the Atria is irregular and chaotic While in A-flutter it is regular and fast.
- The symptoms of both Afib and Aflutter are similar but, the symptoms of Afib are more severe than Aflutter
- People having Aflutter have more chances to develop Afib, even after the treatment.
- In both cases, treatment may include medications such as blood thinners to control the increased heart rate, However, in severe cases, Ablation therapy, Electrical cardioversion, and other therapy are used in the treatment.
- Afib is commonly found more in older people, however, Aflutter is less common than Afib
- If a person has a history of heart disorder or has high blood pressure then it’s more likely to have a severe case of Afib or Aflutter.
- Both Afib and Aflutter are progressive heart conditions which means that it gets worsen with time if left untreated. Aflutter generally doesn’t show symptoms at first glance, but it can be diagnosed while checking up for other heart complications.
Comparison Between Afib and Aflutter
|Parameter Of Comparison||Afib||Aflutter|
|Regularity of atria||In Afib the atria beats irregular and fast||In Aflutter the atria beats regular but fast.|
|Common in People||Afib is more common, and especially in old age group.||Aflutter is less common in people|
|Electrical activity||The electrical activity in atria is organized and coordinated in case of Aflutter||The electrical activity in atria is disorganized and chaotic in case of Afib|
|Heart rate||In Afib the heart rate lies in between 140 to 160 beats per minute||In Aflutter the heart rate lies in between 250 to 350 beats per minute.|
|Ablation therapy||Ablation therapy is less effective in Afib than in Afib||Ablation therapy is more effective in case of Aflutter|
|ECG test pattern||In Afib, an irregular Ventricular pattern is shown on the ECG test.||In Aflutter, a sawtooth pattern is shown on the ECG test|