Table of Contents
What is 2G Network?
2G, which is also called the second generation was launched in Finland by Radiolinja in 1991.2G was based on GSM technology for the transmission of data using GPRS.
The main feature of 2G Network was providing services that include voice calls, text messages, and other multimedia messages, which were digitally encrypted.
2G Network supports bandwidth up to 30 to 200 kHz with the downloading and uploading speed up to 236 kbps. 2G uses less battery power thus allowing mobile phones to run for a longer duration between charges.2G Network uses a radio frequency spectrum which facilitates more users over the frequency band.
Earlier, Radio signals were analog, Where 2G signals are digital, Before making the jump from 2G to 3G network, the unfamiliar 2.5G and 2.7G main provisions were made for bridging the gap.
What is 3G Network?
3G also known as the third generation, upgraded over 2G Network has set the standards for most of the wireless technologies as far as discovered. The 3G network makes the use of (UMTS) universal Mobile telecommunication system as a main network, where wideband coded division multiple access technology is used for the transmission of data.
3G Network has features that include multimedia supporting, streaming, audio and video chats, and delivers faster data speed using packet switching technique, which allows speed up to 14 Mbps.
3G Network supports bandwidth 2 Mbps to 21 Mbps with high speed of data transmission that is the 3G network has speed up to 21 Mbps for uploading and up to 5 Mbps speed for downloading data.3G technology broadcasts signals over long distances through a network of phone towers does data transmission is carried out securely. In addition, 3G network gives end-to-end security making it a more reliable and secured network.
Difference Between 2G and 3G Network Technology
- 2G Network is based on GSM, which mainly uses voice signals for transmission, and 3G Network uses UMTS system, in which wideband coded division multiple access technologies are used for data transmission.
- 2G Network is slower and doesn’t load many features, while 3G Network has extra features that support video streaming, video chat, and GPS.
- In terms of security, 3G Network has authorized authentication, which makes it more reliable than 2G Network.
- 2G Network provides a bandwidth of 30 to 200 kHz with two 36 Kbps speeds, however 3G Network has a bandwidth of 2 Mbps to 21 Mbps with up to 21 Mbps to 25 Mbps speed for uploading and downloading data.
- 2G Network ends up using a wide range of frequencies in the maximum and minimum bands, while 3G is not easily accessible in many areas, which can be a disadvantage in terms of networking.
Comparison Between 2G and 3G Network Technology
|Parameters||2G Network||3G Network|
|Function||2G Network is based on GSM where digital signals are used for transmission.||3G utilizes (UMTS) Universal Mobile telecommunication systems, where (W-CDMA) technology is used for transmission.|
|Features||2G Network allows better voice calling.||3G Network supports voice as well as video chats.|
|Bandwidth Frequencies||2G Network supports a bandwidth of 30 to 200 kHz.||3G Network has a bandwidth of 2 Mbps to 21 Mbps.|
|Security||In terms of security, 2G Network is unreliable.||3G Network is highly secure and has authorized authentication measures.|
|Speed||2G Network provides downloading and uploading speed up to 236 kbps.||3G Network has up to 21 MBPS speed for downloading and 5 Mbps for uploading data.|